Working during your studies

During your course of study you are allowed to work for 120 whole days or 240 half days per calendar year.

Half days are days where you work up to half of the standard local working hours or as stipulated in tariff agreements (usually 4 hours). If you work 5 hours or more this counts as a whole working day.

If you want to work longer than that, you must apply for permission from the local Immigration Office which usually requires approval from the ZAV Central Placement Services at the Federal Employment Agency.

Secondary student activities, like working as a tutor or student research assistant, are allowed without any restrictions.

Here you will find different job and internship offers as well as hints how and where to apply. Do not forget to check the websites of our Career Service - they offer you workshops and information on how to apply in Germany. There is a also a special platform with job offers from our university (German only).


Take a look at the offer of our Career Service! Here you will get personal advice and support when planning your career and starting your first job: career coaching, information to specific industries or professional areas, individual application strategy, job search, feedback on your application folder, preparation for a job interview and salary negotiations and so on. They can also check your application documents so that you have better chances to be invited to an interview!

Further information can be found on the pages of the Career Service.

We keep our fingers crossed for you!

to top of the siteto the bottom of the site
Internship ↓

You would like to do an internship during your studies? That is very good! However, international students who are enrolled at a German university in Germany and wish to complete an internship must pay a lot of attention to several issues:

  • For compulsory internships, i.e. internships which are required as a compulsory part of the study programme, the approval of the Immigration Office and the Federal Employment Agency is not required (§ 15 No. BeschV). These internships can also be remunerated and even then they are still approval-free, because they are mandatory part of the study programme and are therefore covered by the purpose of residence "study". This means that the regularly available 120 full or 240 half working days are not affected by the mandatory internships or the preparation of the final thesis in a company, i.e. they can be used additionally and independently.

    * Sometimes you need a certificate that the internship is really a mandatory one (e.g. for the employer or for the Immigration Office) - Office for student Affairs (Studienbüro) can issue you such a confirmation during the office hours.

  • Voluntary internships are considered as gainful employment and must be approved, even if they are not being paid for. They are not a compulsory part of the curriculum and are therefore not seen as a part of the education programme. On such internships, the regulations on employment rules for foreigners are applied.

    What does that mean for you?

    For the first three months of a voluntary internship, you can use your approval-free 120 full or 240 half working days if you have not used them for another job within the same year. If the internship should be longer, you have to get the approval of the Immigration Office and the Federal Employment Agency. These must be requested early in advance, as such decisions by the authorities sometimes take a long time!

  • Attention: For international students who study at a foreign university and come to Germany for an internship, other regulations apply. Contact us at the International Office if you have further questions!)

Further details can be found on the DAAD page. Do not hesitate to contact us at the International Office if you need any assistance or have any questions regarding these regulations.

Internship in a foreign country

You can find different internship offers on the website of Career Service Stellenmarkt (German only website) as well as on our website with information for students searching for job and internship.

to top of the siteto the bottom of the site
Knowledge of German Language and Other Foreign Languages ↓

Keep in mind: Your chances of finding a job or internship in Germany are generally much better if you have a good knowledge of German (at least B2). Exceptions include large, multinational companies and scientific research institutes. Other foreign languages are also of a great importance. So please use the unique opportunity to learn German and other foreign languages during your study programme!