Nomination by your home university
Before your application as an exchange student at Fachhochschule Dortmund - University of Applied Sciences and Arts, you have to be be officially nominated by your home university. The partner university has to send the following information to the e-mail address exchange-studentsfh-dortmundde :
- Your full name (first name and last name)
- current study program at your home university
- preferred study program at our university
- period of stay (winter term, summer term or both)
- whether you are studying for a bachelor's or master's degree
- Your e-mail address
- for winter terms: March 15 - May 1
- for summer terms: September 15 - November 1
Application is only possible within the following periods:
- for winter semester: March 15 - May 15
- for summer semester: September 15 - November 15
In order for your application to be accepted, you must send the following documents by E-Mail to exchange-studentsfh-dortmundde :
Please note that the coordinator of your home university must sign both your "Student Application Form" and your "Learning Agreement".
- passport copy
- enrolment certificate from your home university
- transcript of records from your home university
- language certificate of the language of instruction of the host university
We do not accept incomplete nominations and applications and those we receive later than the deadlines mentioned above.
If you have any questions, please contact exchange-studentsfh-dortmundde
Room reservation by the Studierendenwerk Dortmund
Students wishing to reserve a room through Studierendenwerk Dortmund must also submit the Accommodation Form and follow the instructions provided by Studierendenwerk Dortmund. You will receive information by e-mail at the end of the application.
The Learning Agreement is your personal study plan, on which you enter the courses you have selected.
Information on the process:
- The Learning Agreement is part of your application documents.
- It can be downloaded from this website.
- For each semester, you enter courses with a maximum total of 30 ECTS on the LA.
- The LA must then be signed first by your home university and you and then by Fachhochschule Dortmund (international representative).
- Within the application deadlines you have to send the LA with all signatures to the International Office.
- Your documents will be chequed by the International Office
- At the latest 3 weeks after your arrival at FH Dortmund you should cheque the feasibility of your courses and carry out changes if necessary
- After you have changed your LA, you will again need the signatures of your home university and the international representative of your department Fachhochschule Dortmund.
- You have to send the changed LA independently with all signatures to the International Office.
You will receive all the information you need for your course selection from the international representative in your department.
Please make sure that all of the exams you have selected are offered during your stay. At the Dortmund University of Applied Sciences, exams are offered in two examination periods. The second examination period usually extends into the following semester. This examination period is often outside of your period of residence, requires you to re-register at the FH Dortmund by paying the semester fee and overlaps with the restart of your studies at your home university.
Attention: A Learning Agreement does not replace the registration of the exam via the online services for students of Dortmund University of Applied Sciences (ODS) or via the study portal. You will receive the access data upon enrolment. Each department has its own deadlines for registering and de-registering for exams. If you fail to register for the exam, you will not be able to take part in the exam. Information on ODS or the study portal can be obtained from your international representative or your study office.
For the coordinator for your department, please see the link below. If you do not find what you are looking for, please contact exchange-studentsfh-dortmundde
Application of Non-EU citizens
Non EU citizens from the following countries: Switzerland, Andorra, Australia, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Canada, South Korea, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino or the United States of America may enter Germany without a visa, but have to apply for a residence permit at the International Citizen Services (Bürgerdienste International) in Dortmund after entry. To be able to apply for a residence permit students need to have proof of financial resources of at least 861 € per month.
Non EU citizens from other countries apply for a residence permit already at the German Embassy in the country. In order to get a visa students need to have proof of financial resources (Opens in a new tab) of at least 861 € per month.
Usually this proof is served by opening a blocked account. It can also be provided by a declaration of commitment etc. You will get more information on that issue directly at the German Embassy. Furthermore you need to present proof of health insurance(Opens in a new tab) .
Further information as well as the addresses of the embassies can be found on the website of the Federal Foreign Office(Opens in a new tab) .
Frauke Albrecht, Dipl.-Sozialpäd.
- +49 231 91129795
Office hours without appointment:
Wednesday: 09.30 am to 12.30 pm
Appointment consultation hours:
Thursday: 01.00 pm to 04.00 pm